Saturday 9 March 2013

Edie is STILL awesome (and so is Nico from the Velvet Underground)


 "It's not that I'm rebelling. It's that I'm just trying to find another way..."  Edie Sedgwick
This is a continuation from my last entry about Edie, with more experimental drawings, looking at facial form from some of my two most favourite faces to draw, Edie Sedgwick and Christa Päffgen (Nico). 'It Girls' or '1960s Paris Hiltons' make of it what you will they are AWESOME (to me). 

Both ladies are deceased icons of the sixties, which is probably the decade I appreciate the most. 
Both have a connection to Andy Warhol's Factory scene, drug abuse, and self abusive behaviors, and their own kind of talent, what's there not to love?

Sometimes I feel we are all just like Edie, lost and frightened little animals. Yearning to be seen, heard and understood. We yearn for the love and acceptance of those around us.

-->
"Why do people stop developing? From being children to maybe stopping at a very adolescent age, and they stay there until they die. Physically die. I mean, they react adolescently. They don't change. They don't develop. They don't! It's that continual read, that process which is...is the total threat for the ego..." - Edie Sedgwick
Nico was famed from a modeling carrer in Paris and a brief but forceful appearance in the Velvet Underground

"It is better to be addicted to opium then to be addicted to money" - Nico
Ink with brush on cartridge paper
Her life was a roller coaster of sadness, death and extreme addiction to heroin for over fifteen years. Her artistic talents were never considered by the masses to be of the greatest. She was generally considered a freak, however she spent her life giving her very best effort to sing her mind...and that she did in a very deep man-like voice. She did it the way she wanted to, in her own unique style, despite mass criticism.
Graphite pencil sketch of Nico, drawn alongside a self portrait
"And if I seem to be afraid, 
to live the life that I have made in song, 
It's just I've been losing, 
So long"    
 -These days, from Nico's first album Chelsea Girls


  -->

No comments:

Post a Comment